Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Time Draws Near

I find I have less and less observations to invest in this blog as my return to America draws ever closer. I have battled with my decision for months. I briefly considered staying in Japan for a second year; I even went so far as to obtain the necessary paperwork to obtain a Japanese driver's license. Yet in the end, thinking of my future, I was determined to go home. Even so, there will be plenty of things I miss about the place where I've spent the last nine months. Likewise, there are plenty of things I will not miss when I leave. I'd like to take the next few weeks to chronicle some of the best and worst that Japan has offered me.

1. I will miss heated toilet seats. While these may be considered a commodity in America, it is more like a necessity in Japan, found on nearly all public [western style] toilets, even in the countryside. These things are essential during the cold weather that accosts all of Fukushima in winter. It has snowed at least once a day for the last week, and heated toilet seats are just one of the things that make living here bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment