Friday, March 16, 2012

Last Days


I felt odd today, walking out the doors of my elementary school for the last time. The students had assembled in the cafeteria. I gave a short speech in Japanese, thanking them for being such wonderful students. They presented me with cards and flowers. Then I left. The teachers waved goodbye from the entrance, but I couldn't wave back at them forever. Eventually, I had to look away and walk to my car.

It doesn't feel real, to expel so many people from my life in just a few short days. I put a lot of time and effort into teaching those kids and getting along with their teachers. I had carved out a niche for myself in this village. It seems a shame to give that all up. But I did, and now there's nothing left to do but move on with my life. I'll be sure to send a Christmas card, though. I'll definitely never forget them.

No comments:

Post a Comment