Friday, September 2, 2011

Fruits Basket


Today marked the end of my first week as an ALT--Assistant Language Teacher. I spent a total of approximately 40 hours at five schools, alternating between elementary and junior high school students. Due to the small population of my village (less than 7,000), my schools are large yet my students are scarce. On the low end of the spectrum, my smallest class has only seven children in it. This makes it very hard to organize group activities.

One game I found the elementary children readily embraced is the game "Fruits Basket," which requires little more than a knowledge of fruit vocabulary and a circle of chairs. Each child is assigned a fruit: Strawberries, Apples, Oranges, etc. A person stands in the middle of the circle and shouts out the name of a fruit, and those children have to stand and run to a new chair. On one hand, the children are able to release their natural, pent-up physical energy. On the other hand, they are given control of the scenario by having choices. Some children would purposely try to be the odd man out because they enjoyed having the power to choose fruits over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment